Saturday 12 February 2011

BOOK REVIEW: All My Friends Are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman

Okay, so with the smooshiest 'holiday' looming imminently, I felt it was only right to review a 'romance' novel. Now, for those of you who know me, romance isn't really my forte, so I'm slightly limited for choice on this one.

However, if I could pass one law, it wouldn't be that people could never wear bandannas, or that cauliflower should be banned in every sense; it would be that instead of sending valentines cards, everyone should send a copy of this book to everyone that they love. (I mean that in the sense of partners, parents and best-friends, not serial polygamists. You should be buying counselling, not books).

This book is one of the most spectacularly charming things I have ever read, even as an English Literature student (not that that counts for much; they make us read Medieval plays - there's nothing charming about them...) and at only 108 pages long, you can zoom through it before your kettle's even boiled.

This is the story of Tom, and his wife 'The Perfectionist' - a superhero whose power does what it says on the tin. At their wedding, a jealous ex of The Perfectionist puts a curse on Tom... and I'm not going to tell you any more because the unravelling of this story is purely magical. With characters such as Hypno, The Clock and The Broken Heart, you might be forgiven for thinking that this is simply fantastical - but I can guarantee that every single hero will relate to somebody in your life. After all, everyone's a hero (especially me).

So if you're stuck for something to send this Valentine's Day, look no further.

And you know what? I'll even let you take the credit for this one.

Purchase for a loved one here:

No comments:

Post a Comment